15 October 2012

Beer Cheese Bread, a.k.a. Packers Bread


If you know me, then you know I am a HUGE Green Bay Packers fan.  My favorite thing about the fact that I don't work on Sundays is that work no longer interferes with my ability to watch the Packers play.  My boys and I wear team colors on game days.  My boys both learned how to say both "Go Pack Go" and "Touchdown Packers" as soon as they could talk. You get the idea....

I'm definitely still not up to full speed since my car wreck, so I have been brainstorming pretty hard to come up with recipes that don't require a lot of time standing in the kitchen.  My back is still not up to it, especially after working all week.  So, I came up with the idea for this bread with the idea that it would be nice and easy along with the fact that we could do something with it for dinner during the Packers game.

This bread is really easy.  My five year old actually made this bread from start to finish except for opening the beer, melting the butter, and taking the bread in and out of the oven.  It's pretty much a mix and pour operation.  The best thing about this is that the yeast in the beer does some work on the dough to make this resemble and actual yeast bread in both taste and texture.  It's an awesome thing and so much less trouble than spending the day letting dough rise.  I used my favorite beer in the world to make this, Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, but you could use any beer.  I would recommend using a dark beer, though, so you end up with some of those subtle molasses flavors you don't get from lighter beers.

Without the cheese, herbs, and garlic, this could easily move into dessert territory.  You could make it with cinnamon and raisins.  It would be super-delicious.



Quick Beer-Cheese Bread
makes 1 loaf

Print me, Please!!!

3 cups all purpose flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 c chopped parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
12 oz bottle beer
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Lightly grease a loaf pan with butter or nonstick spray.  Mix together all the ingredients except the butter.  Bake the bread for 45 minutes.  Pour the melted butter over the top of the loaf of bread.  Bake for 10 more minutes.  Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Remove to a wire rack and let cool completely before slicing.



2 comments:

  1. Will have to try this one. Looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dark beer. I see where this could be a sweet bread. I will have to try this one for supper tonight. Go Pack Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...