19 September 2012

Pistachio Jello Cookies



my pistachio gelatin
Every now and then I go to one of the local Hispanic or Asian food stores for some more recipe inspiration.  This one come courtesy of one of the local Hispanic grocery stores, La Regional.  They have all sorts of yummy flavored gelatins like coconut, mango, and pistachio.  I don't know about you, but I haven't ever found these with the Jell-O.  I use flavored gelatin in all sorts of recipes, so I decided it would work equally well in cookies.  I like think that using gelatin as a flavoring tool came from a Southern kitchen somewhere -- we're all about shortcuts (especially inexpensive ones that give you lots of bang for your buck).

I'm keeping this post shorter than usual and I'm gonna add a couple more pictures.  I was in a car wreck a few days ago.  I'm pretty sore and banged up, so I can't really handle sitting at the computer for any length of time.  So, enjoy and hopefully I can give you a little more in-depth post the next time around....
these are a lovely light green color, but you could add a little color if you want them brighter colored
little one with a mouthful of cookie
big kiddo enjoying the fruits of his labor --
he helped me make the cookies



Pistachio Jello Cookies
makes 30 cookies

Print me, Please!!!

1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
5 oz pkg pistachio flavored gelatin
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup salted pistachios, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 400°.  Line baking sheets with nonstick foil or parchment paper.

Cream together the shortening, butter, sugar, and gelatin on medium high speed until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Add eggs and vanilla; beating for 2 more minutes.  Decrease mixer to low speed, then beat in flour, baking powder, and salt until just combined.  Fold in the pistachios.

Roll dough into 1" balls.  Place on baking sheet 2" apart.  Bake 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...