17 September 2012

Brown Butter Chai Cookies with Pumpkin Spice Hersheys Kisses


These cookies are my official plea for Mother Nature to let Fall happen. I am welcoming it with open arms -- no more sweltering heat...yea!!! I am also welcoming it with cookies. I have been crazy for all things fall flavored lately -- pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and the like. These cookies have all that and then some.

I have seen a recipe a lot like this on Pinterest, but I have read and it seemed like it still needed a little something. I added brown butter. If you read my post on Brown Butter Ice Cream, then you know I am over the moon for all things brown butter. That's how I decided to one-up the recipe that's all over the place. I also needed a step to make the cookies taste like Chai, but not use 20 different spices. I love Chai tea (almost as much as brown butter) because all those spices are some warm and comforting. I would rather drink a cup of Chai than a cup of coffee just about any day. My only problem with all recipes that replicate those flavors are inevitably as long as your arm, so I never make them. Even if I have all the ingredients on hand, if a recipe is too long I just won't make it. My brown butter gave me the perfect solution to the Chai recipe problem. Once I made my brown butter, I let it cool for a couple of minutes, then I dropped in a bag of Chai tea and let it steep in the brown butter while I went out to dinner. I got all those yummy flavors right inside my brown butter. It was everything I could do not to just drink the butter straight and forget all this cookie nonsense, but I did the right thing and made cookies.

These are easy but look really pretty and relatively complicated. They taste even more complicated. There are about a gazillion layers of flavors thanks to the brown butter, chai, and Kisses (thanks to Emily for introducing me to them). If you haven't had Pumpkin Spice Hersheys Kisses. They are pretty spectacular and even more addictive. This is fair warning, but you should go and buy some anyway. You'll have some left over after you've made the cookies.


Brown Butter Chai Cookies with Pumpkin Spice Kisses
Makes about 30 cookies

Print me, Please!!!

12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 bag Chai Tea
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pumpkin Spice Hersheys Kisses

In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, melt your butter. Let it cook over medium high heat until it is nicely browned and toasty (If you need a full explanation on how to make brown butter, please read my post on Brown Butter Ice Cream.) Let the butter cool for 5 minutes, then toss in the Chai tea bag. Stir it around a little bit to make sure the tea is completely submerged in the butter. Let the tea steep in the butter for about 2 hours. After the tea has steeped in the butter, pour the butter through a strainer (just in case your tea bag did not remain intact) into the bowl of your mixer.

Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or nonstick foil.
In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder; set aside. Add the sugar to your brown butter, and beat together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg and egg yolk to the butter/sugar mixture and beat on medium for another 2 minutes. Lower your mixer speed and slowly add the flour mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time, until just incorporated. Mix the dough as little as you have to.

Using a small ice cream scoop or a spoon, scoop heaping tablespoons of batter onto the prepared baking sheets 2" apart.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until just brown on the edges.  While the cookies are baking, remove the wrappers from enough Kisses to top each cookie with one.  When the cookies are done, remove from the oven and immediately press a Kiss into the top of each cookie, pressing it lightly down into the center of the cookie.  Move the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah WeatheringtonMonday, 17 September, 2012

    And they were yummy without the kisses, too, for those of us alergic to them, thank you, thank you for thinking of me!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...