09 August 2012

10 Minute Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream & Coke Float


Wednesday was my grandpa's birthday.  This is not the grandpa I wrote about in the Ambrosia Pie post.  This is my grandfather on my dad's side.  He was a salesman to the core and could charm the pants off just about anybody.  He died when I was a preteen so I don't remember tons about him, but I do remember that I loved him like crazy and he loved me just as much right back.  I also remember he had a tremendous sweet tooth.  We had a special treat that was reserved for our time together -- the Coke Float.  We would go to the soda fountain sometimes, but mostly we would make them ourselves.


If you have never had a Coke float, it is a simply delicious thing -- Coca Cola poured over vanilla ice cream.  I decided to fancy up my float a little by making some homemade Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream.  I have a little trick for making ice cream in a Ziploc.  That's how I made this ice cream.  The best part is that making ice cream this way takes about 10 minutes.  Really.  It's a nifty trick.  And there's no eggs, so anyone can eat it.

10 Minute Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
makes about 1 1/3 cups (enough for 2 floats)

Print me, Please!!!

10 maraschino cherries, chopped
2 T maraschino cherry juice (from jar)
1 c half and half
2 T sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Ice
1/2 c salt
1 sandwich size Ziploc bag
2 gallon size Ziploc bags
1 towel

Mix the cherries, cherry juice, half and half, sugar, and vanilla.  Pour into the sandwich size Ziploc bag.  Seal well.

Fill one of the gallon size Ziploc bags half full of ice and pour the salt over the ice.  Put the bag of ice cream in the bag and nestle it into the ice cubes.  Seal the gallon size bag.  Put the whole package inside the second gallon size bag -- the second bag helps keep any leaks contained.  Then wrap the bags in a towel.  This is to keep all the cold contained for the ice cream making and away from your hands.  Also, the towel is another layer of protection from leaks.
Shake the bags for about 5-8 minutes, or until your liquid has turned into ice cream.  Take out the bag of ice cream and rinse the salt off the outside -- not only is the salt messy, but it doesn't taste very good in your ice cream.  If you don't want to make a float, you can just open the bag, stick in a spoon, and dig in.

If you are making a float, dish out your ice cream into a couple of glasses.  Pour cola over the ice cream until the glass is full.  Serve with a spoon and a straw.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Ahh. Memories that can be enjoyed again & again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Genius! I want to make ice cream without eggs in less than 10 minutes! Amy Watson, wizardess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius! Can't wait for Niko to try this out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...