19 July 2012

Triple Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies



In my last post I talked about how some of our favorite foods were created by accident.  Chocolate chip cookies were one of those accidents.  Thank goodness Ruth Wakefield ran out of cocoa powder.  She stirred some chopped chocolate into her cookie dough, thinking the chocolate would melt and do the same job as the cocoa powder.  The chocolate didn't melt the way she thought it would, instead she invented the most popular cookie in America.

Chocolate chip cookies have all kinds of variations and most people have definite preferences.  I like mine a little soft and chewy in the center with a nice wide band of crunchiness around the edge.  Getting both of those textures in one little cookie is perfection.  Throw some chocolate into the equation and it's heaven.  So many recipes claim to be the best one around.  I'm not bold enough to proclaim my recipe the best, but it is really darn tasty.



i use a small ice cream scoop for perfect cookie portions
As much as my tendency would be to add as much chocolate and other yummies as possible to my cookie dough, not adding too much is one of the keys to a great chocolate chip cookie.  You want a little something in every bite, but you don't want to  upstage the cookie dough -- it's delicious, too.  You can add tons of variety to your cookies, but you have to use restraint when you consider how much of each addition to put into your dough.  This recipe is a good example of that restraint.  I used bittersweet, semisweet, and white chocolate chips, but just a little of each, so I got a little bit of all three chocolates in each cookie.  I also added roasted, salted pistachios to fulfill my need for that touch of saltiness.

I did a little experiment with these cookies.  I baked the batches at two different oven temperatures to see how the cookies were affected by a higher cooking temperature, and therefore a faster cooking time.  The cookies cooked at the lower temperature were a little taller and the band of crunchiness around the edge was not quite as wide as the cookies baked at the higher temperature.  You can see the difference in the two pictures I posted below.  I will let you decide which you might prefer, or you could try both and decide for yourself.




triple chocolate chip cookies baked at 305°
Triple Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies
makes about 30 cookies

Print me, Please!!!


1 cup all purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt 
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
4 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips 
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup white chocolate chips
triple chocolate chip cookies baked at 350°
2/3 c roasted, salted pistachio nuts

Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.


Beat together butter and sugars on medium high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.  Add vanilla and egg; beat on medium high for 1 more minute.  Stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon until just incorporated.  Add chocolate chips and pistachio nuts.  Fold in gently with wooden spoon until well blended.  Put dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes.


Preheat oven to 305° for softer, fluffier cookies or 350° for flatter, crunchier cookies.  Place cookie dough by spoonfuls 2" apart on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.  Bake for 22 minutes at 305° or 15-17 minutes for 350°, or until lightly browned around the edges.  Let cool on pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.


2 comments:

  1. Yum! Pistachios are one of my absolute favorite nuts!! Why must they be so expensive?!? One of the recipes I really, really want to try to make is a pistachio cake! love this!

    I really love your blog! I'm now following it and I'm stoked to see all the new posts you'll put up!! If you've got a minute, I'd love for you to check out mine and follow it if you'd like :) I've mainly put up foodie pictures thus far, but I'm finally putting up the results of this DIY project I've been working on tomorrow!! Also, I'll have pictures of the pecan bars I just took out of the oven!

    Hope you enjoy and have a great day!

    neha
    neha made

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neha,

      Thanks for your lovely comments. I really appreciate your support. I went and checked out your blog. You take great photographs. That's the hardest part for me, since I have never really done any photography before starting this blog. I will follow your blog as well. Thanks again! I have a pistachio cake on my list of recipes I want to do soon. Maybe I will do one for you before I use all my pistachios. They are really darn expensive. -- Amy

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...