01 July 2012

Butterscotch Bourbon Chess Pie



The story of how Chess Pie might have gotten its name is ridiculous.  I don't think it could possibly be true.  The story goes that a Northerner was visiting the South and eating a piece of pie.  That slice of pie was just delicious and he asked the woman what kind of pie it was.  Her response was "It's just pie." (in a very thick southern accent).  He mistook her southern accent on the word "just" for the word chess and that's how this delicious pie supposedly got its name.  I don't believe a word of it. 

If you aren't familiar with Chess Pie, it is way more than just pie.  Chess Pie is a custard pie with no top crust that has a bit of cornmeal in the custard.  I have seen a handful of recipes without the cornmeal, but the cornmeal is what differentiates a Chess Pie from a regular custard pie in my opinion.

I have been making this pie for quite a while now and have always used regular bourbon.  This time I made it using the Bourbon Cream Liqueur I made earlier in the week.  It was a little creamier with the Bourbon Cream Liqueur, but it is still super decadent with straight bourbon.  The one thing I can almost guarantee you will have to go out and get especially for this pie is Butterscotch Schnapps.  The idea from this pie came from a bottle of Buttershots I already had in my pantry.  My best friend Emily and I had a New Year's Eve tradition of drinking Butterscotch Schnapps.  I have no idea where that tradition started, but I know it's why I was lucky enough to have the idea for this pie.

I am a big fan of desserts that taste like they take a lot more effort than they actually require.  This is definitely one of those.  The preparation for this pie takes about 15 minutes of hands-on time and about 50 minutes in the oven.  This pie is heady with the flavors of bourbon and butterscotch with a hints of caramel and nutty undertones.  It is also extraordinarily rich.  Serve it in small slices and savor it slowly.


Butterscotch Bourbon Chess Pie
serves 8-10

Print me, Please!!!

1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 Tbsp yellow cornmeal

2 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
4 T heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp butterscotch schnapps
2 Tbsp Bourbon Cream Liqueur or bourbon
1/2 tsp salt
1 pie crust, unbaked

Preheat oven to 350°. 
Combine all ingredients and pour into the pie shell.  Bake for 45-50 minutes or until center is just set.
When I am in a pinch, I use a pre-made crust for this pie.  If you do use a pre-made crust, put the crust in the pie plate, then put the crust back in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.  This will keep the crust from shrinking back in the pan while the pie is baking.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...