19 June 2012

Super Easy Lemon Cobbler

I had a last minute gathering to go to on Sunday and only had 90 minutes to come up with a dessert to bring.  This Lemon Cobbler was so easy to make that it almost doesn't qualify as a recipe, but it was super delicious so I decided to post it anyway.

The cobbler I had as a kid isn't what most people think of as a cobbler.  Cobblers are similar to pies, but, unlike pies, they only have a top crust.  The cobblers I grew up with don't use pie crust.  They have a batter base, like a cake with a crispy top and edges.  This means they require less fuss than most cobblers.  Just heat up the oven, mix up some ingredients, pour, and bake.  It's that easy.

You can make this cobbler recipe with any fruit (fresh or frozen) or canned pie filling.  If you are using fresh or frozen fruit use 2-3 cups of fruit.  You can add more or less depending on how fruity you want your cobbler.  You can also add spices like cinnamon or nutmeg to the batter to change it up as well.  Make the cobbler batter and anything else you add is up to you.

In my rush to come up with a dessert, I immediately pulled out a jar of lemon fruit tart filling I got as a gift.  Since the lemon divinity turned out so great, I thought I would bust out another lemon dessert.  I freshened up the lemon filling with some grated lemon zest, but this is optional.  This cobbler only requires 15 minutes of hands-on time, so I got to use the other 75 minutes to get the kids and myself ready to go to the party.  We served it up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a handful of fresh blackberries.

Lemon Cobbler

Print me, Please!!!

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1 c sugar
2 tsps baking powder
Dash of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c milk
1 jar lemon pie filling
Grated zest of 1 lemon (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.  Place stick of butter in casserole dish.  Put dish in oven and let the heat of the oven melt the butter.  While the butter is melting, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and milk.  Stir until combined.  Fold the lemon zest into the pie filling.  Remove the casserole from the oven; pour the batter over the melted butter.  Do not stir.  Spoon the pie filling (or fruit) over the batter.  Again, do not stir.  Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top is golden brown.
Serve warm or at room temperature.


  1. It was a great birthday treat

  2. If this is what I tried yesterday, then it's sooooooo yummy!

  3. Amy -- This is what you had yesterday. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks!

  4. I'm making this today for a get-together this afternoon! I love your blog. Thanks for the inspiration :)

  5. Thanks so much, Juliet! You'll have to let me know how it turns out.

  6. Hi I came across your blog, and am planning to make this tonight for my husband. I'm nervous. I have lemon pie filing, how different is that from a lemon tart? I paid a little over $2 for it at Walmart, but the one you used is at least $13 a bottle.

  7. You can absolutely use the stuff from Walmart. That's typically what I use, too. You can use any flavor of pie filling from Walmart or the grocery store. It'll turn out great with any pie or tart filling you would like to use.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...