28 June 2012

Mmm, Mmm, Bourbon



I have a confession to make:  I don't drink bourbon.  This is completely un-southern of me. Bourbon is as quintessetially southern as a drink gets.  Bourbon is a type of whiskey.  It is usually made of corn and aged in oak barrels.  Its name comes from an area in Kentucky that is now known as Bourbon County.  You can drink it straight, over ice, or in any number of mixed drinks.  The bourbon drink most associated with the South is the Mint Julep.  You can also cook with bourbon.  I love cooking with bourbon.  I may not drink it, but I think it is pure magic when you cook with it.

So, I am going to start a little series of posts relating to my love of cooking with bourbon. It's all starting with my homemade Bourbon Cream Liqueur.  I recently read about Bourbon Cream Liqueur on the blog "Love and Olive Oil."  She got hers from Buffalo Trace Distillery in Kentucky.  Unfortunately, they don't have a distributorship in Arkansas for their liqueur, only the straight bourbon.  I love cooking with bourbon so much that I decided to do research and try whipping up some on my own.  Bourbon Cream Liqueur is similar to Irish Cream (i.e., Bailey's), but uses bourbon as its base instead of Irish Whiskey.  This is easy-peasy stuff.  Just pour and mix.  Then you throw it in the fridge for a couple of days to let the flavors meld. 

One thing to remember when picking out alcohol for recipes -- don't cook with it if you wouldn't drink it.  We are big fans of Knob Creek and Maker's Mark bourbons at my house.  My husband drinks it; I cook with it.  It's a staple in my pantry.


Bourbon Cream Liqueur
Makes about 4 cups

Print me, Please!!!

1 2/3 cups bourbon
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 c milk
2 T chocolate syrup
1/2 tsp instant espresso powder or 1 tsp instant coffee granules
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract

Mix all ingredients well.  Pour into clean bottles or jars, seal, and store in the refrigerator.
Let sit in the refrigerator for 2 days before using to allow flavors to develop.  Shake well before serving.



I came up with the idea of using the Bourbon Cream liqueur to make a drink.  I am a big fan of the Irish Car Bomb.  If you aren't familiar, the Irish Car Bomb is a glass of Guinness Stout with a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream poured into it.  I figured I could use the Bourbon Cream Liqueur to make the Arkansas version.  So, here's the recipe as well as some pictures.  You should go make one.  The Car Bomb name didn't really work here in Arkansas.  You can thank my husband for the name of my drink.  He figures that's the dumbest thing people do with explosives in the South.







Fishing with Dynamite
makes 1 drink

Print me, Please!!!

12 oz bottle stout beer (I used Diamond Bear Paradise Porter.  It's made here in Little Rock.)
1 shot Bourbon Cream liqueur

Pour the bottle of beer into a nice tall glass.  Pour the shot of liqueur into the beer.  Enjoy.



There are more bourbon recipes coming soon. In the meantime...Drink up!

1 comment:

  1. Fishing with dynamite is a great name for a southern drink that packs a punch. Thanks foyer all the WONDERFUL treats. ~SW

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...